How to Make a Super Simple and Stylish Mug from Your Coloring Pages
Use your adult coloring pages to create a cute and cozy gift this holiday season.
By Thea Voutiritsas
If you’re looking for a simple gift that’s as heartwarming as it is adorable, this super cute DIY mug has you covered. In just a few simple steps, you can adorn any plain mug with pieces of your favorite adult coloring pages for a homemade gift with a personal touch.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 completed coloring page (or color copy)
- 1 ceramic mug
- Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge
- A brush or sponge (to apply the Mod Podge)
What to Do:
1. Start by cutting your coloring page to the desired size. For this project, we chose to cut out a few small houses from our “Home Huddle” adult coloring page. You can do the same technique (using small pieces from a single page), choose small pieces from multiple pages, or measure and cut a strip of coloring page to wrap around the whole mug. You decide!
2. Paint a thin, even layer of Mod Podge on the mug. Make sure it’s free from lumps and puddles so that the coloring page lays flat against the mug. Now quick—move on to step three!
3. Carefully place your design on top of the Mod Podge as neatly as possible. With a dry finger, carefully smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles in the design and make sure the corners of your paper cutout is flat. Let the Mod Podge dry completely before moving on. (Note: If you miss-place your design at first, you can peel it off and try again, but it really will turn out best if you get it right on the first try.)
4. Now paint a smooth, even layer of mod podge over the designs, paying special attention to the corners to be sure they lay flat (and stay that way!). Let dry.
6. Once dry, coat the whole outside of the mug with another two or three layers of Mod Podge, letting dry completely between each layer.
Unique and personal, this handcrafted mug makes the perfect heartwarming stocking stuffer. (One quick note, though: While the Mod Podge is meant to be dishwasher safe, we highly recommend gently hand washing the mug to extend its life.)
Check out our library of hundreds of designs to find the perfect pattern for your loved ones. Whether your friends and family members love cats, flowers, or pretty patterns, you’re sure to find a coloring page that matches their personality.