How to Make a Cute and Easy Bookmark from Your Coloring Pages
Learn how to use your coloring pages to create an adorable origami bookmark
By Thea Voutiritsas
This origami bookmark is the perfect stocking stuffer for the avid reader in your life. Plus, it’s probably the simplest DIY project we’ve created to date: All you need is a coloring page and some scissors or an X-Acto Knife! Plus, these bookmarks are easy to personalize with the coloring page pattern or colors that suit any recipient best. Here’s how to get started:
What You’ll Need:
- 1 completed 8.5x11-inch coloring page (or color copy) per bookmark
- Scissors or X-Acto knife, ruler, and cutting mat
What to Do:
1. Start by folding your coloring page to form a square. To do this, flip the page over so that the back is facing you. Next, fold the top left corner down to meet the right edge of the page. Use your fingers to form a crease.
2. Next, trim the two white edges from your page. You should be left with a folded triangle, design facing out.
3. Turn the triangle so the long creased edge is closest to you. Then, flip down corner of the top sheet so it meets the middle of the creased edge.
4. Next, fold the left corner up to meet the top center point and crease. Repeat with the right corner.
5. Now, we’ll tuck those two pointy corners you just folded up into the pocket formed by your first fold. Start by picking up your paper and gently pressing the left and right corners together to open up the pocket. Next, tuck the front right point into the pocket, pushing until the point is as far into the pocket as it can go, and crease. Repeat on the left side.
Your beautiful bookmark should be ready to use! Simply slip it over the corner of a page and you’ll never lose your place again. We started with an 8.5-by-11-inch sheet of paper, but feel free to use whatever size of paper you like! As long as your paper is a square, you can make a bookmark of pretty much any size.