How to Make Cute and Colorful Party Hats for New Year’s Eve
Learn to create your own adorable party hats to ring in the New Year in style.
by Thea Voutiritsas
Ring in the New Year in style with these adorable DIY party hats. These hats are a cheap, easy, and endlessly customizable way to spice up any New Year’s Eve party. With just a few simple tools and a little creativity, you’ll be able to pull off this DIY without breaking a sweat. Just be sure to print your coloring pages on cardstock for a sturdy (and Instagram-worthy) result!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Completed coloring page (on cardstock)
- Pen or pencil
- Scissors or X-Acto knife and cutting mat
- Party hat template
- Twine, string, or ribbon (for tie)
- Hot glue
- Accessories (like pom poms)
What to Do:
1. When it comes to making the perfect party hat, shape and size are everything. So, first thing’s first: Print and cut out this party hat template—it will make things so much easier! It’s easiest to use an X-Acto knife and a cutting mat for this step, but regular ole scissors will do in a pinch.
2. Now it’s time to trace. Place your completed coloring page face down, and then place the template on top. Use a pencil to lightly trace around the edges of the template.
3. Next, cut out the pencil outline you created using an X-Acto knife or scissors. Do your best to create a clean edge, and don’t forget to cut the slit that you’ll insert the tab into!
4. For a little extra pizzazz, attach any decorations you like to the top of the hat template using hot glue. We chose some fluffy DIY pom-poms for our party hats, but feel free to add ribbon, feathers, a bow, or anything else you like to your hat.
5. Now it’s time to see your party hat spring to life! Begin by folding in each side of the tab so that it fits through the slit. Then, fold the hat into a cone shape, sticking the folded tab on one side through the slit in the other side.
6. Once it’s through, unfold the sides of the tab inside the hat and smooth a piece of tape inside to hold it all together.
7. Now that you’ve got your hat, you’ll need to make sure it stays on all night long. Cut two pieces of string, each about 16 inches in length (long enough to tie a bow under your chin!). Then, hot glue them inside each side of the hat. Make sure the seam runs down the back of the hat, and the twine hangs across from each other, right above where your ears would be. Tie a bow to connect the two strands, and your party hat is ready to ring in the New Year with you!
Remember that it’s best to make your party hat out of cardstock if you want it to last all night long. (Plus, it’ll hold up better to the hot glue.) Be sure to check out our hundreds of pattern coloring pages to find the perfect design for your very own party hat. And of course, have a safe and happy New Year’s Eve!