How to Create Cute and Colorful Fortune Cookies from Coloring Pages
Ring in the Lunar New Year with these easy-to-make and totally adorable coloring page fortune cookies.
By Thea Voutiritsas
Bring good luck to your home and set a positive tone for the rest of the year by celebrating the Lunar or Chinese New Year this February 5th! Just how should you celebrate? Crafting these adorable and affordable paper fortune cookies is a great start. Use your adult coloring pages to create cookies with intricate patterns and vibrant colors to brighten your mood and start the year with a cheerful mindset.
What You’ll Need:
- Completed coloring page
- Pen or pencil
- Large jar lid (or another round object to trace around)
- Hot glue
What to Do:
1. Start by tracing a circle onto the back of your coloring page. Then cut it out.
2. Using the remaining paper, cut out a long strip to write your New Year message on. If you want the slip of paper to peep out a bit from the sides, cut it to be a bit longer than the circle’s diameter. For a fully hidden message, cut it shorter than the diameter of the circle.
3. Place a dot of hot glue on the bottom edge of your circle. Then, bring the top and bottom edges of your circle together and connect them to form a taco shape. Slide the slip of paper inside the paper taco. It’s up to you whether you’d like the slip of paper to peep out a bit from the sides or be totally hidden. Place accordingly!
4. Now it’s time for the hardest step. Turn your paper so the glued edge is facing away from you. Place your pointer fingers inside the tube-shape and your thumbs on the folded edge. (The bottom of the taco, if you will.) Then, gently fold the two ends together to form the fortune cookie. You’ll need to finagle the paper a bit to get it to fold nicely.
5. Once you’re happy with the way your paper is folded, secure it with a dot of hot glue. Place another dot of glue in the inside crease and hold it together until the glue sets. And voila! Your fortune cookie is picture-perfect.
These simple and adorable DIY paper fortune cookies make the perfect uplifting gift for friends and family. They pair perfectly with other traditional Chinese New Year décor or even some delicious dumplings. With just a few coloring pages and a handful of positive mantras, these lil’ cookies are sure to fill a room with smiles. The best part? No baking required.